Monday, December 12, 2011

My Christmas memory

 


It was my first Christmas in Canada. I had joined my husband in August and it was my first Christmas away from my family. His professor and his wife had invited us and the rest of his students for a Christmas dinner. There was a beautiful real tree with all its trimmings and shimmering lights, the fireplace was glowing with beautiful warmth, and we, all the students, were sitting around sharing stories and feeling the Christmas spirit and missing our loved ones.

After a wonderful dinner with the traditional Canadian flavors, we sat in the living room and exchanged small gifts that we had bought for the occasion.

After that, his wife, a music-lover and soprano, sat at the piano and as we gathered around her she started playing Silent Night and singing. As we all started murmuring the rhythm and the words we didn't quite know, tears gathered in my eyes, because I missed my family so much that day and at the same time I felt gratitude for these people that embraced us and shared this special day with us.
Even until today, 35 years later, whenever I hear Silent Night I am transported back to their home and feel like a 22 year old again, in a new city and country celebrating my first Christmas away from my loved ones.

Photo:Ziniania



1 comment:

  1. Oh! What a lovely story and a beautiful memory! Thanks so much for sharing. (Silent Night is my all-time favorite carol. I just love hearing it.)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...